Discover Península de Setúbal

Discover Península de Setúbal (Setúbal Peninsula). This region is part of the geographic region of Estremadura and it is located south of the capital, Lisbon. Famous for its Moscatel fortified wine, the region has always played an important role in the history of Portuguese wines. Tourism is also a major feature of the region.

The region

Peninsula de Setúbal is surrounded by water. The Atlantic Ocean, the River Tagus and the River Sado. It has a Mediterranean climate with hot and dry summers and mild and wet Winters. Its annual relative humidity level is between 75% and 80%, a product of the proximity to the sea. About 80% of the region stands on very poor sandy plains, that never exceed 150m high. Although poor this soil is well adapted to produce great quality grapes. The other 20% is composed of clay-limestone located between 100 and 500m high, in the hills of Arrábida Mountain, which also protects the vines from the Atlantic.

The region is divided into 2 sub-regions: Palmela and Setúbal, both with their own Denomination of Origin stamp.

The grapes

There is strong legislation in regards to the grapes used in the wines from this region, so there’s no room to mix up grapes. The most predominant red grape is Castelão, for example, the wines with the Denomination of Origin of Palmela must contain 66.7% Castelão to be accepted. In the red category, you can also find Moscatel Galego Roxo and Trincadeira. In the white varieties you will find Arinto, Fernão Pires, Moscatel and Síria.

The wines

The most emblematic wine for Península de Setúbal is the Moscatel. Produced with Moscatel or Moscatel Roxo grapes this amazing fortified wine is one of the oldest and most famous wines in the world.  The famous Moscatel de Setúbal has an intense aroma of orange blossom with sweet favour when aged it develops amazing notes of dried fruit, raisins and coffee.

Although produced in small amounts the Moscatel Roxo has similar characteristics to the Moscatel de Setúbal, but these are maybe refined with very complex aromas and flavours of bitter orange, raisins, figs and hazelnuts.

There are also new table wines being produced in the region. The whites have a floral aroma of spices and the reds note aromas of red berries.

So, book your trip today and come and discover Península de Setúbal.

Source: Infovini